Monday, August 17, 2009

Movie: Sweeney Todd
Director: Tim Burton
Starring: Johny Depp
Exams coming up? Forget about books, important meeting to attend?? please postpone it by one hour and 34 seconds, cause here's presenting the greatest movie of the century- 'Sweeney Todd'- a musical.
I don't know what made me postpone watching this movie post tantum temporis, because I realised that I was missing out on some great cinema.
A man is back for vengeance. He(Johny Depp) was deported for life imprisonment on false charges by a judge(influential ofcourse) (duh!). So the judge takes advantage of the wife, chucks her like a piece of @#*^ and holds on to the daughter Joahna as a captive. The rest of the story is about........I think there is no point elaborating upon the story, like many other aspects of the movie this is also brilliant.
Johny Depp , man what do I say about him. This guy is an institution. His movies including and specially this one are a one man show! Watching him on screen is a sheer delight. All the other actors play their characters truthfully and beautifully.
The fact that it was a musical made me love it even more and left me awestruck asking for more!
This movie has a lot of gore but for once I didn’t mind, because all of it fits so beautifully into the slimy storyline.
The cinematography is awesome. The angles at which the shots are taken are a proof of sheer brilliance. The twists, the sudden shocks in the movie are mind blowing, the beauty of which is brought about aesthetically by the dancing camera.
I screamed thrice during the movie and to get that degree of catharsis from Hansa Sinha is something. After the movie got over I was jumping with joy shooting out positive adjectives left, right and centre. Need I say more!

2 comments:

  1. i was d privileged first pone to read dis..not on d blog, but before...and endure all d screams in mah room...as she watched it! lol... but hell of a review! :P cheers da!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and I still remember how I forced you to watch it right after me....was hoping for some screams too..;)

    ReplyDelete